Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When rejection gives you a feeling of low self-esteem and self-worth...


You've been rejected in one form or another I would suspect. It's just one of those things that are going to be a part of our lives forever. It's not a one time thing. All through life, we get rejected. It could be a rejection from a job you are applying for, or by a person you are interested in, even probably a position in your company that you are vying for.

It can come in all shapes and sizes. It's not the rejection that is what shapes who we are. It is our reaction to the rejection.

When you didn't get the toy you have always wanted for Christmas, how did you react. Did you learn from the experience? Did you learn how to please your mom or dad so that next Christmas, you will get what you wanted?

As you grow older, these reactions to the very part of life called rejection teaches us something. It could make you a better person, or it can destroy your entire being.

Continued at the end of the post....











I used to fear rejection and from time-to-time I still do. It's part of human nature. Yet, if you accept that it is a normal part of life and that the real score lies in the way you react to it - you are bound to be more successful in dealing with rejection than if you didn't realize that your reaction is where it makes its grade.

One time, I was rejected by this godly-like masculine guy that I said to myself, "The reason why I was so attracted to him was because of his physique. What better time than to turn my desire to myself!" - I took his rejection and used it as my motivation to go to the gym regularly until I was able to look at myself and say, "I've done very well and people look at me differently now. I feel confident, I feel great!"

But then, not all were victories. I've had rejections when I was younger that resulted in disastrous behavior on my part. I started drinking heavily thinking that no one will ever want a guy like me, I did all the things that would make me look unattractive because I fear rejection so much - "better me than you" kind of attitude. And then, later on I woke up and realized that it is not them who I am hurting. It's myself!

I picked myself up, dusted myself off and learned that it is not about what other people do to you. It's about how you REACT to it. Think about it.




Have a great week folks! I'm off to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...